Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Tribute to my Ballet Teacher





Leanna McCluskey Gomez was a Prima Ballerina with the Maine State Ballet and danced and studied with the Boston Ballet. She studied under Madame Maria Swaboda of Ballet Russe and also Madame Alexandra Danilova of The American Ballet Theater.  Alexandra Danilova was a student of Maestro Enrico Cecchetti and starred in the movie, The Turning Pointe which was a story about her life. 

Leanna appeared professionally in the theater and on television.  She moved to Florida and began instructing myself and her children in 1976. It was a very small class of 3 or 4 students for the 11 years she taught me. The individual attention was wonderful. She passed her love of ballet on to me, as well as her excellent technique and teaching methods.


As I teach, memories of her instruction come to my mind. She was such a beautiful dancer and I hope I inspire my students as much as she inspired and continues to inspire me.  I will forever be grateful for Ms. Leanna’s talent and for this wonderful gift of ballet that she shared with me. Dancing and teaching Ballet brings me so much joy.

As a tribute to the many years she taught me on scholarship, a Scholarship will be established in her honor, based on financial need, talent, and dedication to the Art of Ballet.


Leanna as a youth putting on her pointe shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment

For a quicker response, please email enpointeballet@comcast.net